Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass - it is about learning to dance in the rain

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Second op down

Hi all, thanks for all the support and good wishes - messages, cards, flowers, texts, pressies....it's been great.
The surgery was a bit bigger than I expected and felt quite a trauma at that time. It was around five hours and I got back to my hospital bed around 5pm on the Thursday.  The general anaesthetic and I didn't get on too well and I remember Thursday night - not being able to lift my hands - with a horrible taste in my mouth. Wine gums help a bit with this and Shaz and Nicky visited the hospital and gave me lollies and a bit of support. I had a wonderful nurse Leo who spoon fed me some yogurt; I was like a baby.
I woke up with four drains coming out of me - two from my breast and two from my tummy - these are tubes which drain fluid from the wound sites. A catheter so I didn't need to go to the toilet, a canula/needle in the back of my hand - with two lines, one for a morphine pump - where I could push the button and get a burst of morphine plus a drip with saline making sure I was hydrated. I also had an oxygen tube putting oxgyen straight into my nostrils. Anything else - I had anti blood clot socks on and the electric wraps that massage the legs (to avoid blood clots). The room was so hot; I was told that I had to keep the flap (skin/tissue taken from my tummy and moved to become a new breast) very warm in order for it to survive/not be rejected.
Hourly for 48 hours, medical staff checked my blood pressure, temperature, oxygen levels and pulse plus checked my breast to see if it was the right shade of pink/that it was accepting, not rejecting.  I also had daily injections into my thigh muscle of a drug to prevent blood clots, antibiotics injected twice daily through the back of my hand plus daily blood tests/taken from my feet! All this with 3-4 types of painkillers plus a variety of other drugs to stop nausea, inflammation and other things. I felt completely overwhelmed/that I couldn't cope and that I could not get through this. The first night, I had kind of druggy dreams about driving and monkey/jungles etc etc abut didn't sleep much at all. I realised that I couldn't cope seeing any visitors. I was spending basically all my time being nursed/doctored anyway - exhausting. Friday morning, mum arrived at 10am and I told her that I couldn't cope and could she help me. I was sweating from the heat so she was able to pin my hair up in little bunches so that I the back of my head wasn't sweating. Mum contacted people and let them know that I wasn't up to visitors, just focussing on survival really. Mum is a nurse and is amazing. She helped me wash my face, wash my glasses, brush my hair, she read to me and basically did heaps of things to help me try to be comfortable including cooking alternative meals to the uusally unappetising hospital meals. She stayed until around 3pm and continued that pattern of visits for the five days post surgery in hospital.
The doctors do their rounds at 8am each morning and told me that the surgery had gone perfectly - and that the breast flap was looking great. My tummy was also looking good. I have in effect had a tummy tuck with fat and muscle taken from the tummy and turned around/created into a breast - and apparently, they've created a new belly button.
Feeling a bit better each day so will update this tomorrow. x Andrea

1 comment:

  1. OMG Andrea I had no idea what all this entailed, it sounds horrendous! You are so brave and I wish I was there to support you in person...it's hard reading what you've gone through and feeling so helpless way over here...hang in there dear friend, the only way out is through...Kia Kaha xxxx Paula

    ReplyDelete