Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass - it is about learning to dance in the rain

Wednesday 22 June 2011

One week on from op

Hi there, I detailed a bit about the surgery and 24-48 hours afterwards. But not the updates since.
On the Friday, I was able to sit up in a lazyboy chair for about an hour and started my first physio exercises and on the Saturday, I sat in the chair for about four hours - and I think did a small walk around the ward.
On the Saturday, one of the lovely nurses told me that things would improve a lot each day as tubes start to be removed on a daily basis. On Sunday, I had the oxygen removed as my oxygen levels were ok.
Drains had to drain less than 30ml a day in order to be removed and two were removed on the Monday along with the canula/needle in the back of my hand. Also, the catheter came out on the Monday. It was a good day. So I was able to get up and go to the toilet and also have a seated shower. The doctors also said that I could go home on the Tuesday if things improved at the rate that they were going. YAY.
On the Tuesday, another drain was removed which left me going home with only one drain (draining from my tummy). The drains are put into cute pink bags so that you can walk around with them. However, as I have this tube coming out of my abdomen, it is very hard to wear clothes - I decided to cut a hole in some track pants so the tube can come out :)
I really bonded with three nurses - they were sweet, caring and so helpful, giving me pep talks about how I would feel and that having a cry was normal. And making me feel comfortable  There was a couple of nurses who upset me - and one time when my buzzer wasn't working. I couldn't work out why I was pressing it and nobody came. It was a powerless experience.
I thought I would feel anxious about having nurses washing me, but when you need a wash, you just don't care who sees what. Also, same with the catheter. It didn't bother me at all.
My plastic surgeon had the flu so hadn't been at work since the surgery but she was fantastic - so experienced, so kind and even gave me a hug before the surgery. I have so much admiration for the medical team - including two female lead surgeons.  The hospital is also a training hospital and quite a few students were around; it was inspiring to see an amazing group of new surgeons coming through.
Each time someone would check my breast, they'd use the word perfect.  It was such a relief to pass the critical point where if something had gone wrong, I would have needed to go back into surgery to replace the breast tissue.  To be honest, when I was feeling so grotty, I almost didn't care what the breast looked like as I just wanted to feel better - but in a few weeks, I will really care :)
So it appears that the surgery has been a complete success and as each day passes, the trauma reduces slightly.  It is amazing how the body heals along with the mind.  
As of Thursday one week later, I still have some serious healing to do - stitches on abdomen and breast - and not able to lift very much - or use my right arm much at all. I am walking slowly and able to shower seated (with my Mum's help).  I am resting almost the whole day and taking pain killers every two to four hours.  When I am late with them, I know all about it. The antibiotics make me a bit nauseous and I have quite an upset tummy. I am able to eat a little more each day but don't really have an appetite yet.  But I am feeling my spirit is back :)
Also, I had some beautiful flowers in my hospital room - very uplifting - and especially the card from people at work, the words were lovely.  Yesterday, another bunch arrived from a friend in Chch. I have a lot of support and caring around me. x A

No comments:

Post a Comment