Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass - it is about learning to dance in the rain

Monday 27 June 2011

Managing risks

Today, I am feeling good. There were a few milestones today: most of my stitches are out (the rest out on Wednesday), the plastic surgeon is pleased with the surgery so far (I gave her some flowers as she is a brilliant surgeon) and...I don't have a DVT (clot).  Saturday morning, I woke up with a sore calf and on Sunday, again, a sore calf. Mum thought that we should double check that it wasn't a DVT as I am high risk. So I had an appointment with a GP on Sunday. He thought I probably didn't have a DVT but wanted me to have an ultrasound.  He rang Wellington hospital and was assured that I would be seen ...so in I sent.  First step, a blood test to assess whether a blood clot was showing - you may know that veins are difficult for me but the nurse was finally able to find one on my hand. After waiting for an hour or so, I was told that my blood level was 2000 when the usual is 500.  However, that is normal when someone has just had surgery.  So..I waited for the ultrasound and the doctor. Luckily, a couple of friends came to visit me and that was nice. Eventually.....after waiting three hours, a nice doctor came in and did an exam.  He thought that I didn't have a clot but wanted me to have an ultrasound but I'd need to wait 1-3 hours or the next day.  As I was tired, I decided to opt for the next day.  He was a lovely doctor :) and that made up for some of the inconvenience.  Better to be safe than sorry.
Today, I had the ultrasound and was cleared of a clot.
I also had my first shower without help and  noticed that I didn't need as many pain killers yesterday/today. So I'm moving towards wellness.
Tomorrow, I get the results from the Breast Surgeon ....and Wednesday, the rest of the stitches out.
x A

No comments:

Post a Comment